Thursday, November 03, 2005

Spin me to the moon

Last week I took up spinning. Normally I wouldn't take up an endeavor such as this with so little fanfare, but I thought maybe that was the point. In "earlier" times (ie, two weeks ago), I would have consumed all my gym energy on new sneakers, gym bag, and lycra-blend yoga pants. But this time I thought, "Just pack your bag, make a reservation, and go" and so I did. And you know what? It wasn't bad at all. Oh, I definitely had to work at it--my face was so purple by the end that people were sneaking worried glances in my direction--but it wasn't so hard that I had to stop or was too intimidated to return. In fact, other than the place where the seat goes up your buttocks, I wasn't sore at all. (But man oh man, they should really DO something about those seats. Ow.) And so, with any luck, I'll finish my second week of spinning tomorrow night--that is, if I can get a reservation. It's weirdly hard to get into a Friday night spinning class in New York. Don't know what to make of that.

Now if I could just stop stuffing all of that Halloween candy down my gullet.