Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I Heart Mandy

The other night I dreamed that I gave Mandy away. One might interpret this as a bad sign, but one would (happily) be wrong. It simply means that I heart Mandy.

I often have these dreams about Simon, in which by some inexplicable logic I've given him away, time has passed, and now I want him back. In these dreams I am invariably hysterical, sobbing uncontrollably and flinging my limbs about. Then I wake up to find Simon snoring happily into my armpit. But I'd never had such a dream about Mandy.

Suffice it to say that Mandy and I did not get off on the best footing. For the uninitiated, adjusting to life with a beagle can be hard. Especially a boy-crazy, eyelash-batting, opera-singing, trash-digging hedonist like Mandy. But somewhere between competing with her for Yan's affection and engaging in hand-to-paw combat over my side of the bed, I fell in love with the little heathen. Potential beagle owners beware.